Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Fabric Flower for Headbands, Brooches, Belts, etc

For these guys please be prepared for some pain ... hot glue on fingertips is inevitable.  But they are quite simple and great for jazzing up a plain outfit.  We are getting family photos taken at the weekend and I wanted to try co-ordinate us all so we're going pinks and blues.  These flowers will be added to my girls outfits just to give them a little extra for the day.  Though the blue one might end up on a hairband for my youngest.

For this one I cut off the hem of an old dress (the longer the material you use the bigger the flower) so it was about 15mm wide but you can go wider which will also effect the end size of the flower.  Then fold about an inch at the end and glue it (I've used hot glue for all these).  Then simply keep rolling up the fabric around it but as you go twist it every now and then (I roughly did 2 twists per round of the flower and then alternated the twists on the next round so they weren't always in the same part).  As you go along keep adding a little glue to keep it in place.  Then just glue the end to the flower and glue it onto more fabric at the back like this.

For the next flower it's so much easier and quicker.  Cut a circle of felt as above for the back.  Then of your flower fabric cut 4 circles for each layer.  In this one I've done 4 plain pink and 4 organza (horrid to glue).  I've used lace and a diamonte to finish off this one or you could use a small rose like the blue one above or cut another round of your fabric and fluff it up in the centre.

Now take your first circle of fabric, put a dot of glue in the centre and fold in half.  But another dot of glue in the centre of the straight edge and fold again so you end up with your circle in a quarter.  Do this with all your circles.  Glue your first layer to your felt backing.  Put some glue in the centre and add the second layer.  I alternated the 'petals' but you don't have to.  The I glued on the lace and diamonte to finish.  Then depending on what you want to do with it will decide whether you add a pin or elastic or ribbon to the backing with glue.

If you find you have strings of glue everywhere you can blow the flower with a hairdryer (warm setting) and they'll disappear.  I found I had a lots of glue on the blue flower so I heated it again with the hairdryer and added some glitter ... I mean what girl doesn't love glitter :)

I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did.  Let me know how you get on, see you soon xx




6 comments:

  1. These are beautiful.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they are amazing. I hope the photographs went well. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, they are next Sunday - I hope we have better weather than today though xx

      Delete
  3. What super flowers - great idea!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, must say I'm hooked and they're a great way for using scraps too xx

      Delete