Pages

Tuesday 14 July 2015

Kids Party on a Budget

So July is a birthday month for 2 of my girls (5 days apart) and this year, after getting away with limited parties for nearly 9 years, I decided it was time to do one at home for a group of friends.  My daughter was turning 8 so it was all things Frozen.  I wanted to decorate without breaking the bank and have things for the kids to do rather than just playing for 2 hours.  So here's a few of my things which were easy do and thanks to Dealz cost very little.

Craft table - get some blanks (in this case card fairies, socks, crowns) and some bling (feather boa cut in pieces, pipe cleaners, pom poms, stickers, wiggly eyes) and just let the kids loose with their imaginations.

Kids love this sort of thing and it doesn't need to be complicated, come with instructions or expensive.

I had planned on making Olaf with the socks but the kids just did their own things.

Decorating doesn't need to break the bank either.  I had lots of banners up.  Then made tissue paper globe thingys.  I also strung cotton wool balls on clear string for 'snow' and painted some branches with silver glitter paint for the forest going up North mountain.

I think they all liked it.  The only problem I faced was each ball had to be hot glued onto the string cause they kept slipping down.

And of course the most important part of any party is the food.  The proper food went down a storm - sausage rolls, chicken nuggets and cocktail sausages.  I also had crisps, sweets and buns.

These ones are my high heels.  So easy to do and again don't have to break the bank.  Simple cupcake with buttercream icing.  The 'sole' is a lotus biscuit (like the ones you get with your coffee in the shops) which  you can get in Dealz.  The 'heel' is a wafer biscuit which though I had seen loads of times before found difficult to get this time but you can get them, otherwise try using chocolate fingers.  They are simply stuck on with some buttercream.  Then decorate the top as you like.

 Now the cake is a different story.  I don't normally make these kind I usually just make it simple but I said I'd do something special this year.  It's basically a 3 tier chocolate rice krispie cake.  The topper is printed wafer paper from Sweet Creations which I stuck on with chocolate and because it was wafer paper it stood up perfectly.  The blue 'snow' is just roll out icing available from Sweet Creations, as are the white snowflakes.

I also had chocolate snowflakes which were tasty but too big, I sprinkled them with blue sugar.  The 'trees' I had fun with though.  They are ice cream cones piped with green buttercream.  Then I just kept them in the fridge until last thing so they wouldn't slide :)  I just thought they were super cool.

Needless to say this went down a treat and my daughter loved it ... she's already planning next years one.

Now I've to go and do another cake for my youngest :) I'll post you a pic when I have it finished.  I hope you like this, if you have any questions or comments please do ask and share xx

No comments:

Post a Comment