Pages

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Photoshoot Day


This story starts last Christmas when I unfortunately gave birth to an angel at 20 weeks.  Sunday (May 10th) he would have been due so I wanted to do something to mark the day.  Rather than drive myself (and my family) mad I wanted to focus on what we have rather than what we lost.  So, using a fair amount of emotional blackmail, I organised a family photo shoot.  

I'm a keen photographer myself and have taken many, many pics of my own kids but never attempted a family pic or one of myself and my husband - think it would have lead to divorce!!!!!!

So I booked a great local photographer Con Murphy and headed for Emo Court one of our local beauty spots, where we also had our wedding photos done over 12 years ago.

Before the day though I did some preparation.
  
1.  I thought about what I actually wanted the pictures for and of.   This meant I could tell Con what I wanted and we were both on the same page.  Basically I wanted a family picture that I could print quite large on canvas or for framing and one of myself and my husband.  I also wanted some pictures in the bluebells.
2.  I picked a colour scheme so the pictures would look well.  These are all over Pinterest (like this one) and the internet so it was a matter of picking something that suited.  Colin usually wore blue so I started there (at least I could tell the girls what to wear :) )  So we went pinks and blues.  I made the fabric flowers from my previous blog to jazz up the girls' dresses 'et voila' we were ready.  Most photographers if asked will tell you not to wear busy patterns or clothes with big writing all across.  Plain and simple is best but try get the colours to work together and of course to suit you.
Now there are lots of things you can't prepare for and my advice is: 

1.  for example, my 2 year old wasn't willing to co-operate for a while and you just have to relax and let them do their own thing.  Con got something beautiful pictures of her anyway

2.  let the photographer run the show.  If you have already told them what you want then they know what to do.  Con may say I tried to run it but I hope I stood back enough :)  But if they are trying to get your child to do one thing and you are distracting the child it will take longer, everyone will get frustrated and no one will be happy.

3.  bring a hairbrush.

4.  depending on the time of day and year maybe bring some midgy spray.  My poor baby was getting eaten by them :(

5.  do what you are supposed to do.  If the photographer wants you to look at him and the kids are running around or looking the other way let him call them not you.  You keep looking where you are meant to so that in that split second when they do look at the camera he can get the shot and isn't then asking you to look at him.  Basically if you are old enough to do what you are told then do it.

This picture to the right is one of my favourites and there was no posing involved.  The girls were just walking along the lake very natural.  We were chilling on the bench and Con was working his magic.
If anyone has any questions to ask please do.  I hope you have enjoyed this blog, see you soon for the next one which promises to be very tasty xx

No comments:

Post a Comment