Pages

Saturday 16 May 2015

Sweet & Sour Turkey - Slimming World Style

Last May I joined Slimming World, for anyone outside the UK / Ireland this is like a Weight Watchers type thing where you follow food guidelines to lose weight and there is a weekly weigh in and group meeting.  They don't call it a diet, it's a way of life because it's aim is not only to get you to lose weight but to eat healthier in general.  This is one of their recipes.  Now when I'm cooking main meals (anything except baking) I use the recipe more as a guideline rather than something to be strictly adhered to - this method hasn't failed me yet.  

When I made this it wasn't hugely saucy so if you like a lot of sauce just up the second addition of ingredients by half.  Also I've used turkey here but it obviously goes well with chicken or pork too.  We just eat a lot of chicken so I wanted to change it a bit.

NOTE: if you are watching what you eat and try turkey remember that pre-packed turkey mince is not low in fat.  I think I read it's about 15% fat!!!!  So buy the sliced breast or breast piece or diced turkey and chop it up finely yourself if you need mince.

First of all dice up approx 500g Turkey.  Add to a bowl with a sliced onion and 2 gloves of garlic.  Stir in 3 tbsp soy sauce and leave to sit for about 30 minutes (I just left mine to sit while I got everything else ready and put the rice on).

In a separate bowl measure in 100ml passata, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sweetener, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp chinese five spice.

In a wok / frying pan / saucepan heat some 1cal spray oil.  Add the turkey mixture and cook through.  Once cooked add the sauce ingredients and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.  Serve with rice or noodles (totally syn free for SW people) (totally delish either way).

I hope you enjoy making this and it goes down as well with you as it does in my house.  Though next time I'll think I double the ingredients and go for seconds :) xx



No comments:

Post a Comment